Arran Suite, Gowanlea
Select a Check-in and Check-out Date
SITE EXCLUSIVE: 15% Discount
On bookings of four nights or more, automatically applied!
We have the answers.
Campbeltown is at the head of the Campbeltown Loch with Davaar Island nearby. Locally it’s known as the Wee Toon and has a population of around 5000 people.
Practically all Kintyre is within “day trip” distance, even Oban and many of the islands, such as Arran, Islay, Jura and Gigha, so Campbeltown is an excellent base from which to explore. In the immediate area, you have all the facilities you’d expect of a small town such as shopping and eating out however what sets Campbeltown apart are the nearby golf courses, the history and the distilleries! Find out more here: https://stayinkintyre.com/explore/
We offer options of a Full English breakfast or a Full Highlander breakfast using a selection of locally sourced ingredients. We also offer lighter breakfasts such as cereals, fruits and yogurts as well as lashings of tea, coffee and juices! You won’t leave the B&B hungry! If you do have any dietary requirements please let us know.
Continental options are available from 7 am, hot breakfast orders are taken between 7:30 am and 8:30 am, serving until 9 am. If you have any other requirements please let us know.
Your hosts, John and David live here with their two teenage children and a gentle giant of a dog called Gino. We moved here in 2019 because we just fell in love with the area. The scenery is unbeatable and it’s a great place for kids to grow up in. We’ve loads of experience in hospitality and we’re all looking forward to your stay!
Within the B&B you’ll find all the expected accoutrements, such as luxurious bedding, own private bathroom with bathtub, shower and toilet, all the little extras you might need and a spotlessly clean house.
Terrestrial television is available, and there is a selection of DVDs and access to our PLEX media server for a variety of films and TV series (subject to Internet availability). Satellite and Cable TV services are not available. Radio reception is fine.
You can connect to the WiFi router as you would in any cafe or at home. The password will be available on arrival.
Regarding baby facilities, we have a travel cot that is available for use. We also have a high chair, a child booster seat and a baby bath. Please let us know you want it out of storage when you make the booking.
Each room has central heating radiators and additional panel wall heaters.
There’s plenty of on-demand hot water, and the shower is a powerful little beastie!
There’s a multitude of bars with some having more of a local flavour than others! For a traditional bar experience, we’d recommend The Black Sheep pub, part of The Royal Hotel right on the waterfront: 1 Kinloch Rd, Campbeltown PA28 6EG. There’s also a Whisky Bar not even five minutes away at The Ardshiel Hotel, Kilkerran Road, Campbeltown PA28 6JL.
For eating out, there are many options. Still, we’d give a couple to start you off, there’s the Harbourview Grille at the Royal Hotel as mentioned earlier, and an Indian Restaurant I would personally recommend is the Taj Mahal Tandoori, 16 Hall Street, Campbeltown PA28 6BU. For a Chinese cuisine option then Golden Ocean’s the place to go at 72 Longrow, Campbeltown PA28 6DD. If you’re looking for seafood opportunities, then popups happen all the time and seem to be quite seasonal.
Distilleries and other attractions can be found here: https://stayinkintyre.com/explore/
Campbeltown is near the southern end of the stunning Kintyre peninsula. There are no dual carriageways; it’s mainly one A road with B roads that form the network. Many of the B roads are single track with lots of Passing Places.
Take the A82 from Glasgow passing Loch Lomond. At Tarbet take the A83 towards Arrochar, taking in sights at Inveraray with Loch Long visible on your left. Continue on the A83 passing through Lochgilphead. A few miles south of Tarbert at Kennacraig (Calmac ferries) you can either take the B8001 and join the B842 at Claonaig to B879 Carradale (the scenic single track route) or continue southbound on the A83 toward Campbeltown.
Calmac ferries – look for the Firth of Clyde timetables.
Take the ferry from Ardrossan to Brodick on the Isle of Arran. Take the A841 to Lochranza and join the ferry there taking the Lochranza to Claonaig route where you can take the B842 to Campbeltown via Carradale or take the B8001 to Kennacraig and join the A83 southbound to Campbeltown.
You can bypass Arran and take the ferry from Ardrossan to Campbeltown, and we’re just up the road from the ferry terminal.
LoganAir runs a twice-daily flight to Machrihanish airstrip, situated just outside Campbeltown.
Using SatNav it’s: PA28 6AZ
Using What3Words it’s: ///noted.couches.nightcap
Using Google shortcode it’s: C9CW+VJ
Using Longitude and Latitude it’s: 55.42226 -5.60347
Using addresses it’s Gowanlea, Argyll Street, Campbeltown, PA28 6AZ.
Yes, of course, get in touch with us and we will help arrange the details for you.
We can certainly do our best, get in touch and we will try to assist you.
- The B&B accommodations are on the ground floor.
- The front storm door is of standard width and has a step and a slightly raised threshold and then another threshold through the main door. There are handholds near the exterior storm door.
- The guest lounge for relaxation and breakfasts is situated on the ground floor.
- The own private bathroom doesn’t have any specialised fittings or access other than being on the ground floor.
What is mobile network coverage like?
Coverage is limited depending on the provider, it is a remote area of the country and mobile companies are claiming to improve matters. Please select your provider from the list below to determine probable coverage they give you. You’ll need to enter Campbeltown or PA28 6AZ for the search location.
Yes, there is. The website is here: http://www.campbeltownmedicalpractice.co.uk
Tel: 01586 552105
It’s a five-minute walk from Gowanlea Heights B&B to reach it. The main points to note are that you can register with the Campbeltown Medical Practice as a temporary resident if you need help and any prescriptions you need are via the Scottish NHS with prescriptions being free in Scotland for UK residents.
*Please note: During the Covid-19 pandemic, this service is limited to emergencies only. You will need to contact your own GP for remote consultation in non-emergency events.
- You can check-in at or after 4 pm on your arrival day.
- You must check out before 10:00 am on your check out day. This allows us to reset the rooms for the next guests.
- No pets are allowed. Sorry.
- No smoking is allowed inside the property but vaping is.
- This is a bed and breakfast in a family home, there are clearly marked areas for guests and areas marked as private, please adhere to this but also know you are very welcome.
- We recommend you have your own, robust holiday insurance.
- There’s a maximum comfortable occupancy for each room.
- Please read and understand the fire rules in your room, if you have any questions please let us know.
You can choose Stripe or PayPal at the checkout, both allow you to use your Visa, Mastercard and American Express card.
We only take bookings with payment in advance and confirm then.
If you are booking for business purposes we can discuss invoicing but in all cases, booking is not considered confirmed until payment is received in full in advance of the booking.
You can cancel any time however if you cancel too close to check-in, and depending on rate, you may have to pay for all or part of the booking. Rates vary on this so please look at the specific rate information when you make your booking and make a considered choice.
We’ve put in place several measures to decrease any risk, in the main most of these changes will be barely noticeable in terms of impact to service.
There are clearly identified guest areas:
- Ground Floor: The guest lounge and dining room, the guest bathroom and your bedroom/s are yours.
- We will wear masks when serving and preparing your breakfast; the breakfast buffet style service will be unavailable; however, the menu choices will still be available to order.
- The hallway is shared with you and the owners.
- The First & Second Floor are the owner’s private areas.
- There are no other guests other than those in your group.
- Please maintain social distancing guidelines where possible.
Cleaning at Gowanlea
- All surfaces are cleaned according to guidelines issued by the UK Government and industry bodies such as Visit Britain, Visit Scotland, The AA and the Association of Scotland’s Self-Caterers.
- We use detergents and disinfectant protocols, including UV-C which has been tested successfully against SARS-CoV-2 (commonly known as Covid-19 or CoronaVirus).
- All laundry is washed at or above 60°C; we rotate multiple sets.
- We have an industry mark issued by Visit Scotland recognising the changes we’ve put in place to assure you.
- We are accredited in the AA COVID Confident scheme
- Public areas are subject to more frequent cleans and sanitising.
If you’ve seen us on Online Travel Agency sites (OTA’s) like Airbnb, Booking.com, Expedia you’ll know we offer great value. The best value we offer is through our own website here.